Acne treatments in Doncaster
Hi i’m Essjay and I delivery Acne treatments in Doncaster and have put this blog together to hopefully answer those niggling questions about your skin problems and to educate you in to making the right decisions so you can finally stick you finger up to acne. essjay
Acne treatments in Doncaster.
What, Who, Why, When?
Did you know that about 95% of people aged 11 to 30 are affected by acne to some extent? Acne is most commonly found in girls from the ages of 14 to 17, and in boys from the ages of 16 to 19. If the acne subsides into adult hood you can still be left with the scarring, pitted and inflamed skin that acne has caused.
It is also very common in young adults with between 40 and 55 percent of the adult population age 20-40 diagnosed with low grade, persistent acne and oily skin.
Statistics show that over 90% of the world population will suffer or have suffered with acne at some point.
What is Acne?
Acne is a long-term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells and oil from the skin. It is characterized by blackheads or whiteheads, pimples, oily skin, and possible scarring. It is also known as Acne Vugaris. Acne can effect many areas however it is mainly found in areas with a high number of oil glands, including the face and upper back and chest.
What causes Acne?
The main cause of acne in 80% of cases is genetics. Poor diet, cigerarette smokers, cleanleness and sun exposure can play a small part but isn’t proven.
In both sexes, hormones appear to be part of the underlying mechanism, by causing increased production of sebum. Another frequent factor is excessive growth of the bacterium Cutibacterium acnes, which is normally present on the skin.
Can Acne be cured?
Acne cannot be curred however it can be treated sucsessfully and results maintained with a personalised treatment and skin care programme.
Can chemical peels improve Acne?
A personally prescribed programme of peels is extremely effective when treating acne, however this must be used in conjunction with a prescribed skin care plan. We offer Acne treatments in Doncaster and can offer a complete programme package with in clinic treatments and homecare specific to acne sufferers.
When you are looking for in clinic treatments and home care there are a few things you need to look out for:
Best active ingredients:
- Salycylic acid: This beta hydroxy acid is the gold standard ingredient, since even sensitive skin can tolerate it. It works by reducing oil production and cleans out pores.
- Glycolic acid: is the holy grail for exfoliation, effectively removing the outermost layer of dead cells. The skin will feel brighter and look clearer after 1 use. Products that contain Glycolic Acid are used often to treat scarring, skin discoloration and signs of aging.
- Retinoid (vitamin A derived): Retinoids are a class of compounds derived from vitamin A, which is commonly used in skincare. Retinoids can reduce the appearance of fine lines, soften scaring, colouration, wrinkles, pigmentation after 12 weeks of use.
- Mandelic Acid: mandelic-acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that is used to exfoliate the skin. It has a unique antibiotic action and maintains skins acid mantle. It regulates the oil production and lightens and brightens the skin. Which makes this perfect for acne, hyperpigmentation, and aging skin.
- Vitamin C : This antioxidant protects the skin and shields it from environmental aggression including sun and pollution. Vitamin C gives skin a healthy glow and a more even tone and teams well with other retinoids.
What prescriptive drugs and creams help with Acne?
- Retinoids (derived for vitamin a). These come as creams, gels and lotions. Retinoid drugs are derived from vitamin A . You gradually build up the use of this product starting from 3 times a week. It works by preventing plugging of the hair follicles.
- Antibiotics. These work by killing excess skin bacteria and reducing redness. The antibiotics are often combined with benzoyl peroxide to reduce the likelihood of developing antibiotic resistance. Topical antibiotics alone aren’t recommended.
- Azelaic acid. Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring acid found in whole-grain cereals and animal products. It has antibacterial properties. It’s even more effective when used in combination with erythromycin. Side effects include skin discoloration and minor skin irritation.
- Salicylic acid. It exfoliates, unclogs pores and has an antibacterial action. It is available as both wash-off and leave-on products.
- Dapsone: is a gel that you use twice daily, it is recommended for inflammatory acne, especially in adult females with acne. Side effects include redness and dryness.
Can Acne make you Depressed?
Acne is an awful skin condition affecting mainly the teen and twenty year olds. Its appearance can lead to anxiety and reduced self-esteem. Severe acne can have a significant impact on social relationships, and affect a person’s confidence and self-esteem in a way that can lead to depression. Please don’t let it get to that stage seek expert advice whether that be a trusted skin practitioner, doctor or even a family member that can help put you in the right direction for a solution.
What can me and my expert team offer you?
I have been in the skin care industry for over 20 years and have vast knowledge in skin, products, ingredients and treatments that can help. At my clinic we offer a programme which can be tailored to you individually to deal with and start to diminish the acne skin that has been holding you back all these years.
I work very closely with Cosmed a medical skin care brand that has a range of products with active ingredients which are scientifically proven to treat acne skin and acne scarring. These include salicylic, glycolic, mandalic and lactic acid as well as retinoids, vitamin c and hyaluronic acid just to name a few.
Please follow the link below to book your consultation and to view the programmes we have available.
I do hope that you choose us to help you say goodbye to that acne skin that has been holding you back.
Acne treatments in doncaster, Acne free 2020